A model of the House of the Nations building inside the 1936 Olympic Games Village. The Olympic Village for the XI. Olympic Games, in 1936, was built in Elstal on the edge of Berlin during the Nazi era. Today it is an almost forgotten relic of the Third Riech, but its history is quite remarkable. During the Games itself, in the summer of 1936 as Europe teetered on the brink of war, around 4,000 athletes from 50 nations lived here, including Jesse Owens who won four gold medals. However, its architects, Werner and Walter March, had already planed the site's future use. The village was converted into a military hospital and an infantry training facility during WWII. After the war ended in 1945 and the area became part of the East German Democratic Republic, the Olympic Village was occupied for nearly 50 years by the Soviet Red Army, until its withdrawal from a united Germany in 1992. The village remains largely as it was left then. Since 1993 it has had a status as a historically protected memorial and increasingly attracts curious visitors. Of late, foreign investors have shown an interest and plans are afoot to build luxurious flats in the former 'House of the Nations'.