Stefan Boness

Elstal, Berlin, Germany

An abandoned P'lattenbau', the typical pre-fabricated blocks of housing in the grounds of the 1936 Olympic Games Village. The Olympic Village for the XI. Olympic Games, in 1936, was built in Elstal on the edge of Berlin during the Nazi era. Today it is an almost forgotten relic of the Third Riech, but its history is quite remarkable. During the Games itself, in the summer of 1936 as Europe teetered on the brink of war, around 4,000 athletes from 50 nations lived here, including Jesse Owens who won four gold medals. However, its architects, Werner and Walter March, had already planed the site's future use. The village was converted into a military hospital and an infantry training facility during WWII. After the war ended in 1945 and the area became part of the East German Democratic Republic, the Olympic Village was occupied for nearly 50 years by the Soviet Red Army, until its withdrawal from a united Germany in 1992. The village remains largely as it was left then. Since 1993 it has had a status as a historically protected memorial and increasingly attracts curious visitors. Of late, foreign investors have shown an interest and plans are afoot to build luxurious flats in the former 'House of the Nations'.

Object Name
Copyright
Stefan Boness
City
Elstal, Berlin
Country
Germany
Restrictions
Not available for sale in Germany
Max size
High Resolution
4819 x 3213 pixels
40.8 x 27.2 cm (300 dpi)
16.06 x 10.71 inch (300 dpi)
4.0 MB size on disk
powered by infradox.com