Dwi Agus Stiana, at Muhammadiyah Gamping hospital, is a snake enthusiast who was bitten on the finger by a king cobra during a handling accident. Rather than seek first aid, he rushed home and placed a 'magic stone' given to him by his grandmother on the bite. Seeing his rapidly worsening condition, his uncle insisted that he go to the hospital, where he went into respiratory failure. Doctors were able to save his life with the aid of a ventilator. That people commonly seek traditional, rather than medical, remedies in the treatment of snakebite is one of the major challenges in ameliorating the snakebite envenomation situation in Indonesia. Other challenges include a lack of antivenins (antivenom) and a poor understanding of treatment protocols amongst medical professionals.